Tuesday, August 12, 2008

On the Runway: Rodarte

The girls behind Rodarte--two sisters from Pasadena--have done a lot for fashion in the three years since their debut in 2005. This Fall, though, I was personally really inspired by their collection of floaty, lightweight dresses paired with spiky heels and loosely knit fishnets. The collection was inspired by a recent trip to Japan, especially Yasujiro Ozu's films. The collection looks to me like a fairy tale gone awry--torn fabrics on otherwise flawless gowns, princess heels with spikes, fishnets that give the overall look an uneasiness...like a spiderweb. That's actually exactly what I thought of the first time I saw the collection, a spiderweb on the models' legs. I like it a lot. What do you think?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I'm particularly fond of this dress. I was sketching something similar to it a couple of days ago and then this shows up while I'm doing research for this entry. Marvelous.

Photobucket

Images: Style.com